Friday, December 16, 2005

Happy Holidays!

It is dawning on me that nearly a month has past since I began writing the previous entry. Oops, guess I kind of forgot to get it posted. Time really does fly, in an insidious sort of way. I am headed to America tomorrow and can’t wait to see what my country has in store for me. The countdown to Christmas vacation has been both painfully slow and unbelievably quick. A direct reflection, I suppose, of my Peace Corps service as a whole.

In some ways I am still groping for things to do, in other ways I have become quite busy. Language tutoring continues to go well and I have begun to teach some lessons in the local region (still not in Vayk, but we are getting closer….slowly). I think my counterpart has gotten a bit jealous that I have branched out and has become more diligent about finding things for me to do. Of course, this happens at the same time that I suddenly become very busy with eco-camps. When it rains it pours…

But enough about that. I AM GOING TO AMERICA!!!!!! And I am a little excited about it. I have been in Armenia over 6 months now, strange, I know, and I am ready for a well-deserved break and some decent coffee (among other things). For those of you I will see during my short stint home, I am very much looking forward to it. For those you I won’t, I wish I could….

I want to wish you all a warm and wonderful holiday season, a Merry Christmas, a Happy Chanukah, and a joyous and successful New Year. Thank you all for your support, even if it has just been keeping up with my adventures through reading my blog, it has meant a lot and has gotten me through many of the rougher times in my adjustment.

Yesterday, as I waited an hour for a non-existent internet connection, I began to think about the multitude of things I am thankful for. There are so many and being far away in a developing country has really helped to emphasize and accentuate the list.

I am thankful for:

Having fathers, husbands, and brothers who are able to live in work in the same country, rather than being forced to chase down seasonal jobs in a distant land.

My good health and strong teeth, the knowledge to maintain health and hygiene, and competent healthcare for when more than maintenance is necessary.

A government that we may not always agree with, but are given the right to disagree and the power to exercise our opinion through various channels.

The freedom of speech and culture, and the ability to be ourselves rather than the impetus to be one of the masses.

Having the means to live comfortably and to buy items that enhance our quality of life.

Warm houses, hot showers and a variety of nutritious foods.

The ability, as a woman, to make my own choices toward who I will marry and when, and the freedom to date and explore my options.

For learning independence and critical thinking as a child and having the ability to apply those concepts to my daily life.

For the opportunity to travel and learn about other cultures and ways of life through first hand experience, and for the knowledge that at the end of two years I have a secure country and life to return to with multiple opportunities for jobs and further education.

For my friends and family and their invariable support.

The best of the season to you all….

No comments: