Thursday, August 18, 2005

The last PST entry

The moon is pretty tonight. I have completed the requisite packing of my belongings into giant suitcases, drank wine and toasted with the neighbors, and now I am completing my evening routine for the final time in Margohovit. I am eager to move on and yet I will miss this place and the meaning it holds for this strange and exciting chapter of my life. One hurdle is complete and I can only imagine what lies ahead for me in this crazy country.

I take a few moments to reflect on the experiences of the past week-a fairly representative anecdotal account of my Armenian experience as a whole:
· The centipede that crawled into the shower with me this morning.
· Getting up early to handwash my clothes in the dark because the power was out, and then hanging them on the line only to get rained on…second rinse cycle.
· My host mother taking a break from chopping peaches to scratch her head with the tip of her knife, the same knife that gets wielded around wildly, pointed at people, used to scratch someone’s leg, and so on…knife safety? Food safety? Bah.
· Walking to Hasmik’s house to find my host father, the village mayor and a Peace Corps vehicle in the intersection by her house. To this day nobody knows what the Peace Corps vehicle was doing there. I asked my host father if it was a PC vehicle. He said yes. I asked why it was here. He and the mayor laughed. I left.
· Cleaning my fingernails after eating sunflower seeds with the neighbors. They are practically the national snack, and if you ask me, more of an event than a food item.
· Listening to 50 cent for the hundredth time….the things you never expected to hear in the Peace Corps.

The list goes on...perhaps I can continue to ennumerate at a later date. For now, suffice it to say that one chapter is closing as another begines. I am ready to start a new life in Armenia and excited about what is in store for me.

No comments: